There have always been plenty of excellent reasons to study actuarial science at Heriot-Watt. After all, we pioneered degrees in the field. Today, we enjoy a worldwide reputation for the quality of our teaching and research. We offer a range of accredited courses from BSc to MSc/Diploma.
The reasons for starting your professional journey with us are much more than academic. We’re certain your experience at Heriot-Watt, both at study and at play, will be unforgettable. The Sunday Times newspaper agrees. That’s why they named us Scottish University of the Year for two years running. Based in beautiful west Edinburgh parkland, we’re within easy reach of the bustling city centre. Which means you’ll have world-renowned attractions and stimulating culture on your doorstep. What’s more, you’ll be close to the heart of Scotland’s largest financial hub, where companies such as RBS, Lloyds Banking, Standard Life, Aegon, Mercer and Scottish Widows have a presence. We have graduates in all of them. Perfect.
Our actuarial programmes are accredited by the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries, and carry exemptions from professional examinations. Actuarial Science programmes correspond to CT1-CT8, while our MSc/Diploma in Actuarial Management offers CA1, CA3 and a choice of up to three Specialist Technical (ST) subjects. There’s the chance for work placements and overseas study, too.
Actuarial and Financial Mathematics programmes
- BSc (Hons) in Actuarial Science
- BSc (Hons) in Actuarial Science with Diploma in Industrial Training
- BSc (Hons) in Financial Mathematics
- BSc (Hons) Statistical Modelling
- BSc (Hons) in Mathematical, Statistical and Actuarial Sciences
- BSc (Hons) in Mathematical, Statistical and Actuarial Sciences and Diploma in Industrial Training
- MSc/Diploma in Actuarial Science
- MSc/Diploma in Actuarial Management
- MSc/Diploma in Financial Mathematics
- MSc/Diploma in Quantitative Financial Risk Management
- MSc/Diploma in Quantitative Financial Engineering
- MSc/Diploma in Actuarial Science and Management
- PHD in Actuarial and Financial Mathematics
Our research effort focuses on:
- Probability & statistics
- Financial mathematics
- Actuarial mathematics.
University-managed accommodation is guaranteed for all students who have accepted an unconditional offer and who apply by the mid-August deadline.
The city of Edinburgh
Edinburgh’s established reputation as a centre of cultural activity is reflected in its museums, libraries, theatres, art galleries, restaurants and musical life. As host city to international conferences, exhibitions, sporting and athletics meetings and as the home to Europe’s premier international festival of music and drama, Edinburgh presents its visitors with a stimulating intellectual environment.View Heriot-Watt University, Department of Actuarial Mathematics and Statistics's Website