As a Trainee Accountant you will be supporting the Accounting and Outsourcing Services Team on the delivery of statutory accounts, management accounts and VAT return preparation to a wide range of clients.
Your role will be to support management in the preparation of financial statements, maintaining accounting records and preparing management accounts / VAT returns for clients within set time scales whilst study towards your professional qualification.
Accounting and Outsourcing is a small but growing team within Mazars and provides national coverage. As a part of the team, you will have the opportunity to work with the many other departments within Mazars, e.g. Audit and Tax, and across a number of offices.
As a Trainee Accountant your typical daily duties will include:
- Assist with the preparation of year end statutory financial statements for incorporated entities and year end accounts for unincorporated entities
- Assist in the iXBRL (Business Reporting Language) tagging of year end statutory financial statements
- Maintaining accounting records
- Assist with preparing management accounts for clients
- Assist with preparation of HMRC VAT returns
- Utilise accounting software e.g. Sage Line 50 and Caseware
- Communicate with the team on any issues or findings
- Develop and apply technical knowledge gained from studies and on the job experience
- Ensure timesheets are completed on a weekly basis
- Have an awareness of the various services provided by Mazars
- Maintain a professional working relationship with both clients and the wider Mazars team
- Attend client social activities
- Attend all training courses as required
Person Specification & Academic Requirements
- Demonstrates strong analytical and research skills
- Takes ownership of assigned tasks and adopts a pro-active approach
- Ability to organise and prioritise workload
- Produces accurate and timely work
- Participates in meetings, providing information and ideas with clarity and persuasiveness
- Ability to build relationships
- Respects differences in people and values diversity of ideas
- Applies active listening skills – asks questions when necessary but makes basic assumptions when appropriate
- Actively seeks to enhance own expertise and knowledge
- Demonstrates drive and commitment to self-development
- Professional approach to work and clients i.e. professional appearance, respect for individuals, and ethical conduct
- Should be studying towards A Levels, Scottish Highers, AAT or equivalent.
If there were extenuating/exceptional circumstances that affected your result(s), please tell us in your application form so we can consider whether we take them into account.
Training Contract & Study Support
School Leavers: We will fund for you to study towards the AAT qualification followed by the ACCA qualification.
You will receive a full study package and time off to study and attend college. Your professional qualification is only part of the story; we support all of our trainees with a blended approach to training and development including classroom study, 1:1 coaching, and skills training to enable you to progress to management and leadership positions.
We also operate a number of in-house training courses which will give you the technical insight to keep up with changes in legislation and case law, both in the UK and worldwide.
You will be given a mentor and an appraising manager to keep your career and aspirations on track.