We want to recruit a Software Engineering summer intern to work on a wide range of exciting assignments within our Technology Practice for summer 2015. You will undertake concept and detail design work in support of the development of new products, process equipment, engineering systems and technologies. You will work in multi-disciplinary teams of varying sizes, alongside other like-minded expert engineers and scientists. Very quickly, you will assume responsibility for part or all of software system on a project, which may typically involve the development of a new medical device or consumer product or manufacturing / assembly / test equipment – from concept, through prototype manufacture, to product introduction. You will use your interpersonal skills to help develop client relationships and will establish your own networks.
During your 12 weeks as an intern at PA you will develop your understanding of the competencies required to be a highly effective consultant. You will be supported by coaching and guidance from our experienced consultants and opportunities to broaden your experience on challenging projects and programmes.
- Good understanding of (appropriate to core discipline):
- Programming language e.g. C, C# or C++ (and comfortable in learning others quickly), an open development platform (such as Eclipse), and an open source operating system (such as LINUX).
- Software Development Methodologies, such as Waterfall and Agile.
- Structured testing approaches (eg. Test-Driven Development).
- Understanding of Software as part of a system.
- Experience or knowledge of testing including structured fault / error finding and correction.
- Experience or interest in engineering design; from concept, through to detail design.
- Interest in the commercial exploitation of technology; this may be in a special interest area that has formed part of your graduate or post-graduate studies.
- Knowledge and experience in use of circuit simulation tools.
- Experience in small scale prototype production / assembly.
- Knowledge of PCB design and assembly processes.
- Understanding of quality control and project risk management.
- Knowledge of the regulatory environment in USA & EU.
- Able to innovate and think freely.
- Track record of working both individually and collaboratively in teams of highly skilled engineers in a technical project-based environment.
- Energy and enthusiasm to take on new challenges in a range of industry sectors.
- Adaptable and flexible; self-motivated and confident; able to use own initiative and work independently as part of a small team.
- Able to solve problems using both logic and creative/innovative approaches.
- Numerate and computer literate, with excellent analytical skills.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Well organised, good time management skills, able to plan and prioritise, and able to work to deadlines and under pressure.