Mercer is a global consulting leader in talent, health, retirement, and investments. Mercer helps clients around the world advance the health, wealth, and performance of their most vital asset – their people. If you thrive on challenge, are passionate about delivering quality service, love solving problems, and truly enjoy connecting with people, we encourage you to explore the many job opportunities available through Mercer. Mercer is a wholly owned subsidiary of Marsh & McLennan Companies (NYSE: MMC), a global team of professional services companies offering clients advice and solutions in the areas of risk, strategy, and human capital. MMC has over 57,000 employees worldwide and annual revenue exceeding $13 billion. For more information, visit www.mercer.com or follow Mercer on Twitter @MercerInsights.
Do you aspire to join a world leader and build a strong and successful consulting career? Have you got what it takes to deliver solutions that have a real impact on the future of major organisations and individuals every day? Are you ready to be challenged?
Mercer is the place for you. As one of the world’s largest providers of talent, health, retirement and investment services, from day one your role will contribute to the success of our clients as we provide them with expert advice on everything from pension schemes and investments to salaries, rewards and benefits.
We are looking for a 15 month placement student to join Mercer in June 2016 as a Retirement Analyst within Mercer’s Retirement Service Centre (RSC) based in Belfast. This team specialises in the production of actuarial valuations, accounting disclosures, actuarial funding updates, actuarial reports and individual technical calculations for our clients. Joining as a Retirement Analyst into the RSC, you will contribute towards the fundamental role this function has whilst ensuring a high level of service is delivered to our clients.
Key duties will include:
- Performing a wide range of duties with respect to the completion of valuations, including analysing pension membership data, preparation of data for use in pension valuation calculations, performing calculations, reconciling data with previous valuations/ accounts and completing standard summaries of data for the RSC, Consulting contacts and clients
- Providing support to colleagues on all aspects of valuation data and liability calculations and liaising with other Mercer businesses to deliver a streamlined service to clients
- Performing core technical actuarial calculations for the completion of accounting disclosures, actuarial funding updates, actuarial reports and individual technical calculations
- Working extensively with in house software, Excel and Valuation tools in order to perform key valuation processes
- Documenting own work to a high standard, explaining all steps carried out and outcomes to colleagues
- Acting in accordance with Mercer Professional Standards and following the peer review/checking process
- A minimum of 300 UCAS points, including a numerical A level at grade B or above with a minimum 2:1 honours degree expected or obtained in a numerical or semi- numerical degree(equivalent qualifications are accepted)
- Excellent planning and organisational ability in order to prioritise and complete work in accordance with deadlines
- Ability to follow documented processes with minimum supervision and willingness to take responsibility for ensuring own work is completed quickly and efficiently without compromising quality
- Good analytical skills and ability to work though tasks in a logical manner
- Excellent written communication skills
- Strong numerical reasoning skills
- Ability to work effectively in a team and build strong working relationships with peers, senior colleagues and other Mercer businesses
- Although previous exposure to a similar environment (eg pensions consulting, insurance) would be desirable, it is not essential as the job holder will be provided with structured technical development in order to succeed in the role
- Strong IT skills with good working knowledge of Microsoft Office, in particular Excel