At Smith & Williamson we recruit high calibre people with the skills, knowledge and commitment to meet the demands of the business. The graduate programme is a three year structured training programme combining practical experience with technical studies, as well as providing numerous opportunities to increase your skill set with internal courses ranging from personal impact and negotiation skills to time management to delivering presentations.
Our Investment Management teams work with private individuals, charities and institutions to help achieve their financial aspirations. We do this by understanding their requirements, attitude to risk and time-horizons to create and manage the most suitable investment portfolios.
What will I be doing?
The largest part of our investment business is the private client side. Our 30 teams manage portfolios for both UK and international clients, including trusts, charities, self-invested personal pensions and personal open-ended investment companies. In addition, we have pooled funds with over 20 fund managers who manage a broad range of cash, fixed interest and equity funds. Our services are extensive so you’ll get exposure to all aspects of this fast-moving and growing business area, in a collegiate environment.
Duties of the Tax Trainee role are as follows:
- Assist Director with regular portfolio reviews
- Undertake basic analysis of companies
- Attend daily morning meetings, annual compliance briefing and internal/external seminars as appropriate
- Draft client correspondence, e.g. valuation letters for approval by Director and responses to client queries
- Write up client meeting notes
- Assist in setting up new clients
- Check monthly/quarterly statements
- Set up client trades
- Liaise with Investment Settlement Operations and Banking departments on administrative matters, e.g. stock transfers, corporate actions
- Ensure familiarity and compliance with FCA requirements
- Support the team by liaising with clients and their advisors
- Be committed and motivated to studying towards the IAD and masters qualifications
- Be able to deliver first class client service and work effectively as part of a team
- Demonstrate an ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing
- Have a high level of general commercial awareness
- Be well organised and have the ability to prioritise your own workload
What training and development will I receive in my first few years?
We believe that hands-on experience is key to creating well-rounded trusted business advisers. As part of our Investment Management team you’ll gain invaluable experience through our formal rotation programme, spending time in the investment settlement operations, middle office, compliance, private banking and fund administration departments as well as studying for the Investment Advice Diploma (IAD) and CISI’s Masters in Wealth Management qualifications.
- Must have or be on course for at least an upper second class honours degree in any discipline
- 320 UCAS points (or equivalent) in your top three A-levels (excluding General Studies)
- GCSE English and Maths (or equivalent) at a minimum of grade B