Do you aspire to join a world leader and build a strong and successful consulting career? Have you got what it takes to deliver solutions that have a real impact on the future of major organisations and individuals every day? Are you ready to be challenged?
Mercer is the place for you. As one of the world’s largest providers of talent, health, retirement and investment services, from day one your role will contribute to the success of our clients as we provide them with expert advice on everything from pension schemes and investments to salaries, rewards and benefits.
Joining as a Graduate Actuarial Trainee within the Public Sector Group of our Retirement Consulting team, you will help advise both public and private sector clients (corporate and trustee) in all areas of pensions consulting including tackling and resolving issues associated with Defined Benefit and Defined Contribution pension schemes. Our Retirement Consulting team is made up of a mix of actuarial and non-actuarial consultants, so we can offer a diverse range of skills and perspectives to our varied clients.
Key duties will include:
- Performing calculations to support public sector, corporate, trustee clients and individual decision making around retirement choices and pension scheme management.
- Developing and applying relevant legislation knowledge to client issues.
- Communicating effectively to external and internal clients in a non-technical manner.
- Developing understanding of client needs in order to be able to deliver high standards of client service and in particular developing an understanding of how the public sector operates.
- Performing in accordance with financial targets and standards; time recording, budget monitoring, billing and all other aspects of financial management.
- Working in partnership and developing relationships with internal teams, across lines of businesses and with public sector and corporate/trustee clients.
- Developing coaching and delegation skills, and
- Ideally to either enhance or develop a working knowledge of Microsoft Excel VBA or equivalent programming.
You will join our 16 month development programme and alongside your professional studies, you will also complete a 10 week rotation programme in our Retirement Service Centre in Belfast during your second year. The programme will provide you with a deeper knowledge and understanding of the valuation process, ensuring you have the technical grounding to become a fully competent actuarial consultant.
Key skills and qualifications required:
- A minimum of 300 UCAS points obtained in 3 subjects including a numerical A level at a minimum of grade B, with a 2:1 honours degree in a numerical or semi numerical degree (equivalent qualifications are accepted).
- An interest in pensions and financial markets is essential.
- A strong customer service focus and desire to work with clients to help them achieve their objectives.
- Ability to work in a team with rapidly changing priorities and demands.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong numerical, analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to assimilate data, review and solve client issues.
- An ability to work to tight deadlines.
- Ability to balance work, study and personal life effectively.
To find out more about Mercer and to apply click the link below.