Do you aspire to join a world leader and build a strong and successful career? Have you got what it takes to deliver solutions that have a real impact on the future of major organisations and individuals every day? Are you ready to be challenged?
Mercer is the place for you. As one of the world’s largest providers of talent, health, retirement and investment services, from day one your role will contribute to the success of our clients as we provide them with expert advice on everything from pension schemes and investments to salaries, rewards and benefits.
Joining as a Graduate Actuarial Analyst within our Retirement team in Manchester, you will help contribute the consulting, technical and analytical support required for Actuaries and Consultants to advise corporate and trustee clients in all areas of pensions consulting including tackling and resolving issues associated with Defined Benefit and Defined Contribution pension schemes. Our Retirement team is made up of a mix of actuarial and non-actuarial consultants, so we can offer a diverse range of skills and perspectives to our varied clients.
Key duties will include;
- Performing calculations to support corporate, trustee and individual decision making around retirement choices and pension scheme management
- Developing and applying relevant legislation knowledge to client issues
- Communicating effectively to external and internal clients in a non-technical manner, including the drafting of communication material, and preparation of meeting packs.
- Developing understanding of client needs and consulting skills in order to be able to deliver high standards of client service. Liaising with clients, and other advisors.
- Performing in accordance with financial targets and standards; time recording, budget monitoring, billing and all other aspects of financial management
- Working in partnership and developing relationships with internal teams, across lines of businesses and with both corporate and trustee clients
- Developing coaching and delegation skills
Alongside your professional studies towards becoming a Certified Actuarial Analyst (CAA), you will also complete a 10 week rotation programme in our Retirement Service Centre in Belfast during your second year. The programme will provide you with a deeper knowledge and understanding of the valuation process, ensuring you have the technical grounding to become a fully competent actuarial consultant.
As you develop into your career, our Retirement division opens up a number of paths that allow you to focus on your strengths and interests. These include (becoming);
- General consultant and overall relationship manager for a portfolio of clients
- Consultant in one of our specialty groups, such as our Public Sector team
- Roles in other lines of business, such as the Administration of pension schemes, and our Defined Contribution team
- A business manager or consulting leader
Requirements and skills;
- Minimum of 300 UCAS points, minimum 2:1 honours degree expected or obtained ideally in a numerical or semi- numerical degree (equivalent qualifications are accepted)
- An interest in financial markets and pensions is essential
- Willingness to complete relevant professional qualifications
- Self-motivated, eagerness to learn and to keep up to date with the respective industry trends and market conditions
- Ability to work as part of a team and within a collaborative environment
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Relationship building skills and understanding of customer service principles
- Work well under pressure and strong time management skills
- Exceptional attention to detail ensuring quality and delivery in line with deadlines
- Strong numerical, analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to maintain a good work-life balance
In return, joining Mercer you will access to a number of benefits;
•Exceptional training and development opportunities
•Challenging yet friendly and diverse work environment
•Comprehensive study resources and support
•Exposure to a wide range of clients ensuring a varied work load
•25 days holiday with the option to buy/sell 5 days additional leave
•Highly competitive benefits package including pension scheme, private medical insurance, income protection with the ability to further tailor it to suit your individual needs with options including discounted gym memberships, travel insurance, childcare and retail vouchers and much more
To learn more about Mercer and our opportunities please click on the link below.