Make a difference at Mazars
From the first day you arrive at Mazars, you will be welcomed with rewarding work, an excellent client list and supportive colleagues – all the crucial ingredients you need to inspire and educate you as you study for your qualification.
The UK is a global leader in the insurance market, writing more than $100bn worth of premiums a year (excluding life assurance). This accounts for 7 per cent of total worldwide premium income, making it the world’s 3rd largest insurance industry and the largest in Europe.
In 2011, 30 per cent of net premium income came from overseas business, making the UK insurance industry a major exporter.
Over 290,000 people are employed by the UK insurance market, which is more people than are employed in the electricity, gas and water sectors combined.
The London market has a unique position as a trading centre for large commercial risks and reinsurance covers from all over the world. Essentially it is a global marketplace located in the City of London.
Mazars – Big 5 in Insurance
Mazars is a leading provider of audit and business advisory services to the insurance market in the UK and internationally. At 31 January 2013, the group had a direct presence in over 70 countries and draws on the expertise of more than 13,500 professionals, including over 650 specialist insurance staff. In the UK, we have the 4th largest dedicated insurance team in London led by 17 partners.
Globally we work with five of the top ten global insurance companies and in the UK we advise:
- more than 50 UK insurance and reinsurance providers, companies and mutuals;
- 17 of the top 50 UK insurance brokers and over 50 London Market and UK insurance brokers;
- over 30% of Lloyd’s syndicates;
- over 45% of Lloyd’s corporate vehicles; and
- FTSE and blue-chip companies’ insurance and captive arrangements.
We act for the UK subsidiaries of overseas insurance companies and similarly advise UK insurance companies with overseas operations.
A career in insurance
As a specialist dedicated insurance team, Mazars operates in all sectors of the insurance industry including underwriters, brokers, life assurance companies and Lloyd’s. This experience combined with specialist training we provide will enable you to have a great career in the insurance market.
An overview of the role
- Primarily based out of our City office;
- An opportunity to specialise in the insurance sector and develop in-demand skills;
- Work on audit, internal audit, and other insurance specific engagements;
- Challenging, interesting and varied work with access to a variety of clients’ businesses including brokers, underwriters, syndicates and life assurance companies;
- Work in a variety of different team sizes;
- Competitive salary with rapid growth potential;
- You will be given exam leave and ‘Time Off in Lieu’ for overtime worked;
- Flexible benefits package giving you a choice how to spend your annual allocation. Options include a company car, gym membership, private medical insurance and many others;
- Early responsibility – you will be responsible for staff after one year and could be leading jobs in a year;
- Direct contact with senior personnel at clients from Day One;
- An active social scene; and
- Insurance specific and soft skills training – learning does not end with a qualification.
How we will support you
We will fund your study towards the ACA (Association of Chartered Accountants) qualification. You will also work towards the Chartered Insurance Institute (CII) certificate which is not offered by our competitors.
You will receive a full study package and time off to attend college but, with Mazars your professional qualification is only part of the story. We support all our trainees with a blended approach to training and development, classroom study, 1:1 coaching and support and, as you progress, technical and skills training to enable you to progress to management and leadership positions.
You will spend time away from the office to attend classes for tuition and revision stages of each exam. The classroom taught approach means that you will have the support of your peers and valuable study time for your exams.
We also operate a number of in-house training courses which will give you technical insight to assist you to keep up with changes in legislation and case law, both in the UK and worldwide.
You will be given a mentor to help you settle and an appraising manager to keep your career and aspirations on track.
What we are looking for
We want driven professional individuals who excel at working with others, who have the ability to communicate at a high level and who share the same values as Mazars. Alongside this you must be able to demonstrate analytical skills, commitment, drive, commercial awareness, flexibility and creativity.
Candidates need to demonstrate a keen interest in insurance and want to further their knowledge of the market. They need to be self-confident and sociable to build and develop strong relations with clients and colleagues.
We look for candidates who can demonstrate a strong academic track record. You will have achieved, or be on course to achieve, at least a 2.1 in your degree, although the subject of your degree is not important.
- You’ll need at least 280 UCAS points (to have achieved in the same academic year, from your best 3 A Levels and excluding General Studies).
- We also look for Grade B or above in GCSE English Language and Maths.
If there were extenuating circumstances that affected your result(s), please tell us in your application form so we can consider whether we take them into account.
Closing date for applications
We do not have a closing date for our vacancies, so you can apply all year round. However, competition is high so we would advise that you apply as early as you can.