Your career is just that, yours. You choose it. You live it. You make it happen. To get the best from it, you need the best opportunities. That’s why opportunities are at the heart of a career with us.
Our offer to you…
Be part of the world’s leading professional services network and enjoy the benefits that come with that. You’ll work directly with big name clients where you’ll get to grips with the value they’re looking for by getting into the detail. We’ll provide an environment where you’ll be able to explore new opportunities, to help you grow and find your niche. And we’ll give you access to be best learning and development around.
As an actuary, you’ll work with uncertainty. Using complex financial and statistical theories to calculate the likelihood of events – anything from a natural disaster to a wholesale IT system failure – you’ll work out what that means financially for clients. It’s highly technical work. And it’s made all the more challenging by the fact that you’ll have to present your complex findings in simple, easy to understand ways
What you’d do
You’ll start off in one of two areas – both among the leading actuarial practices in the UK.
In Human Resource Consulting you’ll work in our pensions team or in our reward team. In pensions, you’ll work with a wide variety of companies, from large multi-national organisations to smaller UK-focused businesses, advising them on how to best achieve their objectives in relation to their pension/benefit schemes. You’ll consult on a spectrum of issues including the redesign of pension benefits, de-risking legacy pension schemes, negotiating with trustees on how to fund schemes, potential Mergers or Acquisitions, and the impact of legislative changes. In reward, you’ll have a broader consulting role. You’ll help companies focus on the best way to reward their senior employees. You’ll mainly focus on the best way to reward senior executives. In particular, you’ll play a big part in helping clients design, evaluate and manage their incentives arrangements, such as long-term share schemes, as well as executive pensions.
In Actuarial & Insurance Management Solutions you’ll work with clients from the insurance industry (both life and general insurance), but also those in retail and investment banking, non-financial services corporates like energy and utilities, plus healthcare and the public sector. Your advice could cover solvency, reserving, economic capital, risk management, mergers & acquisitions, company restructuring and de-risking, financial modelling, underwriting, new legislation, the viability of new products and the efficiency of claims or reporting processes.
Your training and development:
Our people make us stand out as a firm. So we choose the best and invest heavily in them. You’ll benefit from the encouragement, opportunity and support which includes:
* Our graduate training programme helps you gain breadth as well as depth of knowledge and build a portfolio of valuable, transferable skills.
* Movement throughout the firm – you’ll work in different teams and offices, experiencing different clients and projects.
* Support to gain a professional qualification – study towards becoming an Actuary with the Fellow of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries. You’ll start working towards this during your structured induction training and it’s a hefty commitment, calling for a great deal of self-discipline and motivation. But we’ll provide you with study leave (about one day a week) and full financial support, internal tutorials, on-the-job coaching, formal learning courses and practical experience and a pay rise each time you pass an exam.
What you need to bring us
• A 2:1 or above in any degree discipline
• A UCAS tariff of at least 320 (or equivalent) including a B in maths at A-level
Equally important will be your intellect, willingness to learn, ability to build relationships, put yourself in others’ shoes, while always making a positive impact with our clients and each other.
How to apply
We’re proud, based on the opportunity we offer, that students have voted us the number one Graduate Employer in The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers survey for the last nine years.
And we know that the skills and experiences you develop with us, will stay with you throughout your career. So join us, and we’ll help you reach your full potential.
It’s the opportunity of a lifetime.