Today’s energy sector is in a continuous state of change, requiring talented, highly trained individuals who can demonstrate leadership, risk management and strategic thinking in managing complex business situations.
The new MSc Oil & Gas Trade Management is unique in the UK as it focuses on the ‘downstream’ side of the industry – the management of trade in oil and gas products.
The programme has been designed in response to industry demand, with input from senior industry executives at companies such as Shell, BP, Petrobras, ICAP and Tullett Prebon.
Three key themes – risk management, strategy and leadership – are woven throughout the programme.
Why should I choose this programme?
This is a specialist programme, which explores the management fo trade in oil and gas from the perspectives of both buyer and seller.
The course has been designed in collaboration with industry leaders to ensure that is is relevant – and will continue to respond – to industry needs.
As well as developing the numerical, analytical and negotiation skills necessary for a successful career in oil and gas trading, the course will raise your awareness of environmental issues and the importance of corporate social responsbility.
Key skills, aims and objectives
- Identify and evaluate the economic and political factors influencing the global oil and gas industry.
- Analyse the structure of the commodities markets and understand price formation and the pricing of risk management.
- Understand the legal and regulatory framework of physical trade and shipping.
- Develop a critical awareness of the uncertainties and current issues in oil and gas markets.
- Respond to the social and ethical issues prevalent in the industry.
- Be aware of the latest research and practice, and use a range of numerical, IT and communication skills to interpret data and present solutions.
This programme will enhance your employability by giving you the practical, analytical and problem-solving skills needed for success in a growth industry that offers opportunities worldwide.
It will prepare you for a career trading in oil and gas markets, or any organisation where energy is a key variable.
You will be equipped for a variety of management positions within any industry exposed to energy, on both the supply and demand side.
- Accredited by the Chartered Management Institute (CMI), leading to Chartered Manager status for graduates.
- Affiliated to Oil & Gas UK, the trade body working with companies, governments and other stakeholders on significant issues.
- Affiliated to the Energy Institute, the professional body for the energy industry delivering good practice and professionalism across the depth and breadth of the sector.