What is IT consulting?
Information technology (IT) consulting covers a broad range of consulting services, as IT is an extremely diverse field. IT consultancies provide businesses with the tools they need to get the most out of their IT systems. This sometimes involves implementing and administering an IT system on behalf of a company.
An IT consultants work can include:
- Defining information needs
- The provision of software
- Systems analysis and design
- Computer feasibility studies
- Implementing computer applications
- Making computer hardware evaluations.
Due to the nature of their work, IT consultants do not always have an intimate knowledge of a client’s industry. In a more complex industry IT consultants may work alongside other consultants who specialise in that particular sector.