One of the UK’s leading general insurance and financial services companies, NFU Mutual has been meeting our customers’ needs for over 100 years.
Our employees are important to us. We empower and inspire them to perform, offer opportunities to grow and we recognise and reward their contribution. They are proud to work for a company that respects them and broader communities, and they trust us to be financially sustainable so we are successful now, and in the future.
We have an exciting opportunity for an Actuarial Trainee to join us within our Group’s Risk and Actuarial Function. As an Actuarial Trainee you’ll have the opportunity to work within a department that boasts a diverse range of knowledge and skills with a shared aim of driving business success.
Responsibilities will include a variety of tasks focussed on the preparation and interpretation of complex technical data with one of the various actuarial teams within the department. NFU Mutual provides both general and life insurance products. Therefore we can offer you a wide range of opportunities and experience to enhance your actuarial career.
Our Risk and Actuarial Function benefits from a strong development culture. Supporting our students to achieve their goals of gaining fellowship to the IFoA is important to us. As such, you will enjoy a generous study support package providing both financial support and guidance from an assigned study mentor.
Our Actuarial teams enjoy an excellent work life balance with access to variety of onsite facilities, with good commuting links with Birmingham and surrounding areas. On top of this you’ll be rewarded with competitive salary, bonus scheme and a variety of other benefits including a gym subsidy, staff discounts and our health and wellbeing plan.
- Using actuarial methods and modelling tools to weigh up the risk, and estimate future experience.
- Producing key management information and regular reporting figures.
- Analysing the results of various projects and tasks, and writing reports highlighting appropriate actions.
- Presentation of results and findings in written and verbal format to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Project work – The Risk and Actuarial Function’s work is varied therefore the role will include involvement in key projects for the department and the wider business.
- Ensure the procedures are kept up to date for all routine tasks and are used to manage the risks within the team.
- Build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders within the Risk and Actuarial Function, as well as other departments across the company.
- Provide solutions to ad hoc financial queries.
- Monitoring industry trends and changes in the economic environment.
- Our ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate the following qualities and skills:
- Excellent analytical and problem solving techniques with the ability to process, analyse and interpret complex data quickly and accurately.
- Ability to explain technical ideas and numbers clearly in written reports.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to help influence both technical and non-technical people.
- An ability to plan and deliver pieces of work to strict timescales and highly motivated to deliver on promises made to the business.
- Keen attention to detail with the ability to show good judgement.
- An ability to work on your own using your own initiative to drive work forwards and be proactive.
- The ability to work as part of a team, coach and mentor others.
- Familiarity with using spreadsheets.
- A commitment to self-development.
- An enquiring mind and willingness to tackle new areas of work.
- A desire to keep up to date with industry developments and to translate it to give direction and drive to the team’s work.
- At least 3 A-levels at grade B or above (including mathematics but excluding general studies).
- An honours degree (2:1 or above) in mathematics, statistics, economics or another degree with significant mathematical content.