The Higher Apprenticeship Programme is a five year structured training programme combining practical experience with technical studies, as well as providing numerous opportunities to increase your skill set with internal courses ranging from personal impact and negotiation skills to time management to delivering presentations.
We are committed to providing the highest standards of service based on long-term, director-led client relationships. We strive to provide imaginative yet pragmatic advice and solutions, derived from a thorough understanding of our clients’ needs. This is made possible by the quality of our people and our depth of expertise at all levels.
Duties of the Higher Apprentice role are as follows:
On-the-job training and studying towards your professional qualification will enable you to gain a full understanding of the technical aspects of audit and accountancy and additional financial advisory services. You will:
- Develop an understanding of our client’s and their businesses
- Highlight issues and problems for the attention of senior management
- Become familiar with our accounting software
- Discuss queries with client staff, obtaining relevant information and explanations
- Resolve queries whether of an audit or accountancy nature
- Work as part of a team to undertake a variety of tasks for our diverse client base
- Understand from your manager the scope of tasks allocated and objectives to be achieved
- Keep seniors and managers fully informed of any issues and problems, ensure work is completed to a level agreed with the manager and record clearly and concisely the work done
- Prioritise tasks whilst monitoring time against budget
- Support department events and procedures and build relationships within Smith & Williamson
What training and development will I receive in my first few years?
Alongside your work and internal training courses you will receive first-class professional training as you study for the Certificate in Finance, Accounting and Business (CFAB) and Associate Chartered Accountant (ACA) qualifications.
To be successful in this role you will:
- Be committed and motivated to studying towards a qualification
- Be able to deliver first class client service and work effectively as part of a team
- Demonstrate an ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing
- Have a high level of general commercial awareness
- 280 UCAS points (or equivalent) in your top three A-levels (excluding General Studies)
- GCSE English and Maths (or equivalent) at a minimum of grade B